Normally, spreadsheets or paper are used in small businesses to manage their staff’s schedules. However, it’s very important to invest in scheduling software as your business grows. It’s easy to get scheduling conflicts when you are gaining more business, and that can cause you to have disgruntled customers, due to being shorthanded on some days, or to go over your budget in labor at other times. Also, the old fashion way of scheduling staff can be time-consuming especially in these really busy, competitive times. That is why it will behoove any business owner to invest in quality staff scheduling software.
Types of Scheduling Software
There are various types of scheduling software that best fits your business. What may not work so well for one business, may be perfect for another business. Having said this, the follow are different types of staff scheduling software:
- Server-based scheduling– accessible only in your business office, and it requires a large upfront payment, and fees in maintenance, upgrade, and support.
- Online/web-based scheduling– making changes to employee schedules as needed and managing the schedules anywhere and anytime on the mobile device. There are no fees for maintenance, support, or upgrade and no upfront fees.
- Staff-centric scheduling– this offers very optionally flexible scheduling. Also, it provides simple maintenance, setup, and long-term usage. This type provides highly flexible scheduling options. It offers easy setup, maintenance, and long-term usage.
- Vehicle-centric scheduling– the creation of vehicles must be done first before setting up the employees’ schedules. Afterwards, the creation and delegation of those shifts can be done to vehicles. Finally, staff members should be allowed to vehicle shifts.
Benefits of the Employee Scheduling Software
With these scheduling, software choices come many benefits. Easily assigning staff to jobs and shifts, maintaining and producing schedules, tracking tasks in real time, and tracking the time of employees are easily accessible. Other key features and benefits are as follows:
- The efficiency of employees’ staffing is enhanced which works well especially for service professionals who have difficulty managing work orders for customers during peak times.
- Companies with employees based in several locations can have centralized data access which the work schedules would’ve been difficult to communicate with these staff members without the software.
- The managing of the workers’ hours is more effective by monitoring their checking in and out and their paid time off (PTO).
- You can also get automatic reminders about upcoming appointments, automated scheduling in real-time, managing of field service, the creation of appointments and meetings, and resource scheduling for scheduling meeting rooms and more.